Watkins story continues with another first-time win

Super Late Model pilot Richard Jarvis, based out of Ocean Pines, Md., was a lucky man at Georgetown Speedway last Friday night, July 14. The 27-year-old racer earned $2,500 for his first-ever Georgetown Speedway win.

Then, while being interviewed by the media in Victory Lane, he paused to check his 50/50 ticket. When the last number was read off, he began jumping and shouting, “I won the 50/50! That’s awesome, it’s just awesome.” He pocketed an additional $810 for an evening total of $3,310.

Super Late Models started the PODS Portable On Demand Portable Storage-sponsored event.

Mark Williams earned the feature’s pole and hustled into the early lead. Jarvis followed closely, waiting for his tires to heat up and the car to hook up. Feeling comfortable with his car as they approached the halfway mark, Jarvis dared the pass, roaring by the leader for a never-surrendered lead to the finish.

Anthony Rushing came with him, followed by Scott Cross. Behind Cross, two-time winner Ricky Elliott settled for fourth, followed by Kenny Pettyjohn, who rounded out the top five of 16.

“This is incredible. The car was awesome tonight. Everything was awesome,” Jarvis beamed in Victory Lane. “The car was real good it worked on the bottom. When I made the pass, it was pretty smooth.”

After being beaten by his brother in last week’s Crate Modified Division, Jordan Watson vowed that there was always next week. At the end of 25 laps, he not only made good on his threat, but also pocketed $500 for his win.

Richard Walls earned the pole. When the initial green flag flew, Walls hustled into the early lead. Before he could get them back across the stripe for the first of 25 laps, the first of five caution flags waved. Caution returned on the next attempt to get them going.

That time, four tail-pack cars collided in Turn 1. When racing resumed, Mark Byram got the jump on Walls. After leading them around several laps, caution returned. Byram led the restart. Behind him, Walls eagerly waited to get the jump on him. Instead, Byram continued leading.

Byram showed the 18-racer field around several more times and then suddenly his front tire went flat, forcing him to leave the track. Walls inherited the lead with the Watson boys behind him.

Caution waved again, closing the gap Byram held over Jordan Watson. This time, it was Watson taking advantage. Watson jumped into the lead, with his brother Joseph a distant second. That distance evaporated with the fourth caution. When the green flag returned, Joseph tried to take it from his brother. In Turn 3, they were side-by-side. Joseph Watson almost took it.

Only a few laps remained to be raced. Suddenly, just when it looked like Jordan Watson had escaped his brother’s challenges, caution waved for the final time with two laps remaining to be raced. The Watson brothers led the two-lap shootout.

“I was really worried about my brother on the restart,” Jordan Watson said. “He (Joseph) pulled up under me and I wasn’t sure I had enough to hold him off. I knew the cushion was better then the bottom because the bottom slicked off. I was hoping to get a good bite and pull it off and that’s what happened. The car felt great. Last week it was real loose. This week it hooked up.” According to Joseph Watson, “There’s always next week.”

Richard White was third across the stripe. Trailing in the top five were Walls and Chris Hitchens.

Crate Late Models were the third division racing that night. Travis Justice and Joe Warren shared Row 1. After four caution restarts with only one lap recorded, Justice finally got them started and showed them around twice before caution returned. Three laps were complete.

At the halfway mark, Milford racing legend Bobby Watkins took the lead with another Delmarva racing legend, Sparky White, on his back bumper. Several laps later, White worked his way by Watkins in time to take the white flag. Holding it for one more trip, White fought off challenge after challenge down to the stripe.

According to White, “Bobby got up in turn three and four coming up on a lapped car. I knew we had to run on the bottom because nobody was up top. About five laps to go, I found a perfect line on the bottom. I had plenty of bite and Bobby went up top, and that was my only shot. He slid up top, and I went under him and got a good run off Turn 4, got under him in Turn 2; and it was just a drag race down the back straightaway.”

This Friday, fans at Georgetown Speedway will get to see and hear Big Block Modifieds when those competitors will highlight the action, which includes the regular crate classes. For more information call the track hotline at (302) 856-7415.