Memorial service planned for 9-year-old Ocean View girl

When friends gather this weekend for the memorial service celebrating Aurora Skye Miller’s life, the family wants them clad in bright colors — especially purple, Aurora’s favorite.

“She was a happy kid,” her grandmother, Denise Limmer, said about the 9-year-old Ocean View girl, who died on Sept. 1 at Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, after battling neuroblastoma.

“She always wanted to be famous, so we’re hoping to fill the church. We want everybody to wear bright colors. We don’t want all black. We’re going to have Disney music on instead of sad music. We don’t want a lot of tears and stuff. We want a good memory of her,” Limmer said.

Visitation will be at Ocean View Chapel of Melson Funeral Services, 38040 Muddy Neck Road in Ocean View, from 9 to 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at noon at St. Luke’s Catholic Church at 99th Street and Coastal Highway in Ocean City, Md.

“Aurora liked the Disney princesses, so I have a disc with all Disney music on it that we are going to have them play,” she said.

In Aurora’s memory, a bench will be built by students in the woodworking class of Indian River High School and placed on the playground at Lord Baltimore Elementary School in Ocean View, where Aurora would have been in fourth grade this year.

“We want to do this for Aurora because she was one of our students for many years and she was greatly loved,” said Lord Baltimore Principal Pamela Webb.

“We would like to paint it her favorite color. We will pick a date as soon as the bench is completed, and paint it. Once the paint has cured and we seal it, it will be installed on the playground, probably in early spring. It will be a happy place for kids to go to talk or to read a book,” she said.

Art teacher Samantha Walls will help with a design to personalize the bench, possibly with handprints of classmates, which is what students did with another bench, in memory of another LB student who died last year.

“A lot of her friends are coming to the funeral with their parents. She loved school. She couldn’t wait to go back,” her grandmother said, laughing at Aurora’s sense of humor. When the priest at their church gave the little girl $20 for McDonald’s meals, her grandmother bought a McDonald’s gift card for her. Delighted, Aurora said, “My first charge card.”

“She would come up with the funniest stuff,” her grandmother said.

“She’s is truly missed by everybody. She’s an angel now.”

By Susan Canfora

Staff Reporter